Tuesday, November 1, 2011

1 Samuel 16:7 "The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

Labels vs. Heart


So if someone claims to be a Christian but is filled with anger and rage, has no confidence, doesnt love people, doesn't go to church, never reads the word, never prays, and does all other manners of "bad" things...would you believe they were a Christian? Or, if you know someone who spends all of their time serving and encouraging others, reads their bible all the time, talks about Jesus with every breath, and worships every chance they get, you probably wouldn't have to ask if they were a Christian, would you?

I wonder if we quit looking at how we label ourselves, and really begin looking at the state of our hearts combined with our actions and the fruit that's produced in our lives, if we would truly find that we live up to the labels that we graciously place ourselves under?

I can call myself "obedient" and say I want Gods will, but when God tells me to turn down an opportunity, is my heart submitted enough to do it? Just because I don't steal that doesn't make me "obedient" if I'm still gossiping all the time. I could walk around calling myself a "youth pastor," but if my heart isn't compassionate towards youth and I'm not serving them with my time and actions, am I a youth pastor? I can call myself "single" but if I'm emotionally attached to someone, spend all my free time with them, talk to them all day long via text or whatever, think about them all the time, and am planning a future with them in my heart, it doesn't really matter if it's not FBO (Facebook official), because the truth is that I'm not single in my heart. There are a million examples...

It hurts so badly to see Jr. High and High School students skirt around honoring their parents wishes that they don't date, justifying their actions with the label of "not dating." It hurts to see someone who is married flirting with an inappropriate relationship and justify away the conviction because of qualifiers they've placed on the situation. It hurts to see someone settle into what they might consider small sins because they've conquered what they think are the big ones. It hurts to realize that there are so many areas where we are capable of completely ignoring the Holy Spirit. It hurts to realize that I've been guilty of this in my own life in areas as well. How often do we truly listen to the Holy Spirit and how often do we justify away His guidance and correction?


In the same way that we reject negative labels, and strive to live above and beyond them, shouldn't we reject so-called positive ones and let our hearts and actions speak for us. My question is are we being honest with ourselves? Are we using labels to justify away the conviction of the holy spirit? Does the state of our heart, and the actions that follow, really live up to the labels we are placing on ourselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment